Thursday, March 1, 2012

Calm my anxious heart!

I first read this book when our bible study at work did a study on it.  This was over a decade ago.  Yet, this book has been my go-to book when going through trials and difficulties and when I'm in need of encouragement.  Author Linda Dillow's writing is comforting, soothing, gentle and loving like that of an older sister and she draws encouragement from the Bible.  She shares very candidly her experiences and what she has learned through them.  Yesterday, I read a chapter on Trusting God with the Whys.  Here's a portion of that chapter:

"Life has times of prosperity and times of adversity, the straight and the crooked.  When your heart is breaking with a burden, do you wait on God?  Have you seen Him in all His majesty, and can you say with Habakkuk that the righteous shall live by faith?  We all need a faith that perseveres through the times when we can't see what God is doing but we can see Him, and so we say, "Yet will I trust You."  I dont' know your thoughts:  Though my parents never understand or support me....Though I never have a husband .... Though my husband disappoints me ... Though I'm exhausted.... Though I'm in pain....Though my child runs away from Christ....Though, though, though.... YET WILL I TRUST THE LORD GOD.  HE IS MY STRENGTH."

She talked in this chapter about crooked paths, some that we create ourselves and that God allows and others that God causes.  And she talked about the book of Habakkuk and how he doubted what God was doing in his life and asking how God could allow this to happen and why didn't he do anything about it?  And what did our loving Father say to him?  He wasn't going to explain the Why.  Instead he wanted Habakkuk to trust Him with all his Whys.  He was to trust God for what he didn't understand and for what he couldn't see.  In the final chapter of the book, Habakkuk writes this:  "Though the fig tree should not blossom, and there be no fruit on the vines, though the yield of the olive should fail, and the fields produce no food, though the flock should be cut off from the fold, and there be no cattle in the stalls, yet I will exult in the Lord, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation."

No matter what we're going through and whether or not we understand WHY, we must put our trust in the Lord.  We must exalt Him.  We must rejoice in the God of our salvation!

No comments:

Post a Comment